Saturday, December 18, 2010

Math

My goal for today is to set my goals for 2011. Not just set them, but break them down into daily / weekly / monthly goals so I can nibble away at them until they're done rather than staring at an overwhelming project.

I want to finish Big Dixie by the time I go to Nationals at the end of June. That means I need to complete draft one, The Discovery Draft (a much nicer name than others may give it), by the end of April. I write Single Title, so I need 80-100K words. That's in the range of 350 to 400 pages. I've written page ONE. (Speaking of nibble...)

Starting January 2, I am participating in Kelly L. Stone's 90 Day Writing Challenge. Set a daily goal, do it for 90 days straight. Build a habit. Finish a book.

Simple math, write 1000 words a day and you've got 90K words when it's finished. Hmmm. Ever sit down to write and stare at a blinking cursor for an hour or so? Because some days the well has run dry and others, my cup runneth over, I'm setting 10 day goals, word count-wise. My daily goal will be based on a clock.

90 Day Writing Challenge Goals:

Devote 2 hours every day to writing (research, learning craft, or actual writing).
Every 10 days, I will have 10,000 new words on virtual paper. 
I will make this a daily priority, as my goals are not as important to any one else as they are to me.
If I fall short one day, I will get back into it the next day with renewed focus.

If you'd like to join the 90 Day Challenge, visit Kelly's website http://authorkellylstone.com/ or visit the 90 Day Writing Challenge on FaceBook.

Happy Writing!

Ava

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ava! Thanks for sharing this link. I've already signed up because it fits right into my 2011 goals. I think you and I are on the same page, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete