Saturday, April 6, 2013

Bacon! or Why I'm Not a Vegetarian

When my husband suggested we take a completely unplanned weekend trip to Asheville, NC, I thought about all of the work I had to do for about two minutes, then I came to my senses and started packing.

Saturday morning, we ate breakfast at Tupelo Honey Cafe. They open at 9 - which I thought was very weird for a place that serves breakfast, but my husband's response was, "It's Asheville." We spoke to the host at 9:12 and were seated at the last open table. The next couple who walked in were given an estimated 25 minute wait. Man, were we glad we had change ready to feed the parking meter and got in Tupelo's door before those guys!

Service was fast and friendly. Our coffees were delivered with 2 GIANT biscuits and homemade blueberry jam - and of course, Tupelo honey. Had this been a normal Saturday morning and not a vacation Saturday morning, the biscuits and jam would have made a great breakfast. But it was vacation, so we ordered the Sweet Potato Pancake (which was ginormous) - fabulously seasoned with cinnamon and topped with the perfect amount of pecans and powdered sugar; and the Country Breakfast - for which I only have three words - Maple Peppered Bacon. Sure it came with 2 eggs (I assume they were good since my husband didn't share) and Goat Cheese Grits (very creamy) but the bacon was off the charts - even ranking off the normal bacon chart.

Granted, the photo is mostly of the pancake, but by the time the blog-worthiness of the bacon crossed my mind, there was no more bacon to photograph. And I promise, I only ate a quarter of this pancake.

If you ever visit Asheville, check out Tupelo Honey Cafe on College Street. But get there early - or, early by Asheville standards. :-)
 

1 comment:

  1. Whenever my husband and I travel, we always look for Mom & Pop style diners.

    Sounds like if we ever make it Ashville, Tupelo Honey Cafe will definitely be at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete